Ask an expert

08 Apr 2003

I desperately need a shrink, everythings just going down hill for me and i'm realising more and more that its my fault. I'm loosing it and i need help, butttt I cant afford a shrink. what do i do, i've tried this forum for a while now, but i can't discuss everything-they're different problems but have one context-me. I need to talk to a professional. I don't have money (i'm a student) help help please..
Answer 416 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear helo,
Firstly- relax a little. By recognizing That you have some problms, and that, as the common denominator in them ( which doesn't mean they're your "fault" ) you are the one who can do something about clearing them up, and by deciding to do so, you've made some major steps towards finding solutions, steps which many more troubled people haven't yet found the guts to take. So, well done, so far.
Now, you want ( and deserve ) some expert help. Fine. As a student, your college / university / school ought to have some provision for providing some psychological / psychiatric / health help and advice to its students ( they're at fault if they don't ) --- check out what may be available by that route, probably free, or at least at really low cost, depending on income.
Then check out whether you have, near you, a Medical School, or a University / college which trains clinical psychologists. If so, they should have an academic Dept. which both has staff members who are required under their contracts and in return for their salaries, to provide some health care for people who need their help, within their department's clinical services. If some try to persuade you to rather see them privately for an inflated fee, they're just being greedy, and you should explain that you can't afford that, and don't they provide a service in terms of the dept of education and of health ?
Similarly, some, but sadly not all, state health and provincial health hospitals and clinics, should also provide access to the services of a shrink. Again, such care ought to be of low cost, depending on your income, and potentially free.
Finally, what about your parents ? WOuldn't they want to know both that you hav been experiencing some problems, and that you've been sensible enough to recognize the need for help ? Wouldn't they be able to help cover the costs of some consultations and treatment ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20306 votes