Ask an expert

13 Jan 2006

i've this strong suspicion that my ex bf has got people to check me out. i think my phone & email is tapped. I also have this strong feeling that there are people following me around. the thing is this guy has serious insecurities and psychological issues that were just too much. i was ALWAYS accused of cheating or doing things behind his back. he always tried to use every piece of information he got to corroborate his imaginations. i ended the relationship two months ago after he physically assualted me for going to see my sister (he thought i went to see another man). but since then i cant help but feel that i am being investigated. i live in so much fear. can the police be able to help me in this regard. the thing is i know a lot of people use PIs to try and catch their patners out, but this is to me stalking and isnt it illegal???
Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Maybe you are being checked out. He sounds extremely possessive and paranoidly suspicious himself, as well as abusive. If there is any evidence that he particularly is stalking or troubling you, you could with the help of the police get a court order forbidding him to contact or harrass or disturb you in any way. And you're right, he isn't even your partner any more, so this would be stalking and potentially illegal.
Remember another way for him to be lastingly controlling of you is to make you fearful and suspicious, and thenm he need not even do anything to leave you worried, anxious and over-vigilant.
However, be prepared also for the posibility that the police, who nowadays in some areas can be so lethargic about major crime, to be uninterested --- in which case go and sleak to the folks at your local Magistrate's COurt and see if they can help more directly.
Buzz's point makes sense, that hiring a PI for long would cost him a packet. Is it possible that he kept a copy of your keys when he left, and was thus able to let himself into your place and check your emails ?
Shooter's suggestions are absolutely excellent and sensible ! Brillaint --- thanks Shooter !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.