Ask an expert

09 Sep 2007

help me i dont know what to do!!!!
I just want to find out I stay in a small town and there is not much traffic. So when I went to JHB I was terrified of the traffic (I always was and I’m still) I don’t know what to do I start crying and feel like I have something blocking my throat I grab a hold of the door handle and I don’t let go till I need to climb out. I am not the one driving and tried to delay going for my learners and license.
I am 24 and my dad said he booked me for my learners and driver’s license I am still terrified.
Can any one help?
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

Yes, indeed, someone can help, though you may not happen to have a good local psychologist in your specific small town, it'd be well worth your while to seek one out, with your dad's help, and get treatment for this phobic anxiety, which is much more common than you may think. CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) can work wonders in a situation like this, helping you to fairly rapidly unlearn the habit of fear in regard to traffic and driing in it, and to be able to relax and function well in such situations. This is the best treatment available for such problems. Be cautious about suggestins, which a GP might make, of using tranquillizers, as these are rather like alcohol and impair your reactions times, and on significant doses of those, your reactions may be similar to being drunk.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.