Ask an expert

30 Sep 2008

Involuntary commitment
What is the procedure to have someone involuntarily committed in South Africa?
Answer 5,368 views

01 Jan 0001

Complex. IF you are a relative, you have more say in the matter, and would need to discuss this wih the individual's psychiatrist ( if he/she is or has been under treatment already ) or with their GP if not, or even with the police locally, if you can find someone intelligent at the station. There has to be a proper expert assessment of the individual and the situation, to assess whether they are a real danger to themselves and/or to others.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19997 votes