Ask an expert

13 Nov 2008

I'  ve got a son 10 years of age - We'  ve taken him to phsycologist, psychiatrist and "  arbeidsterapeute"  for assistance but no luck - When he goes for the treatments he would be the "  perfec"  son and they will find nothing wrong - He stole over R3000.00 in the last year where he admitted guilt from the school (photo money, tour money, kids pocket money etc.) He stole a lot of money out of our wallets in the past year - he dodges the alarm to steel from the kitchen at night - he lies with a straight face, manupulates and cries a lot to make you feel sorry for him - next day he will steal and lie again. We tried with the school to assist in searching his bag every morning and afternoon when he goes home but he stopped going to the principal'  s office. He is too young to go to Boys Town - we have no clue what to do here - HELP !!!!
Answer 303 views

01 Jan 0001

One major puzzle is what he wanted R 3000 for, and where it went to, especially ay his age. ANd I'm disappointed ion the specialists you took him to, if they allowed him to fool them so easily, and didn't give you useful advice on this problem. He sounds psychopathic, and a fgood shrink ought to be able to recognize that and diagnose it.
Searching him each day with your consent makes sense, and it shouldn't be up to him to choose whether or not to go to the Principal's office. And obviously, no money should be left around at home. And revise your burglar alarm so it WILL go off when he sneaks around at night. Drugs is a possibility one would want to consider and rule out. And maybe next time he steals something, maybe call the police to investigate ( they should have been called in in regard to the school thefts ) and let them at least scare him into recognizing that he won't get away with this every time. And seek out a less naive shrink who will assess him properly, taking into account, as he must, all the reports from you and the school.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.