Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
30 Jul 2007
Doc, I am concerned. I want to come off my medication (Venlor XR) because of various side effects. However, my shrink has now put me on Remeron, to take with Venlor to combat these side effects. Would it be best to take it or should I go for a second opinion. It just seems like doctors want you to carry on with meds regardless, even though raising the concern of side effects and wanting to come off gradually. I have been on meds for about 18 months now.
Velor is rather a powerful AD, but especially at the higher doses for which this is true, can indeed have unpleasant side-effects. I have no experience at all of combining Remeron with Venlor, nor have I seen good evidence that Remeron is an ideal medication to use to reduce any side-effects of reducing Venlor. Your shrink surely ought to have advised you in some detail of what side-effects might be likely versus possible versus unlikely, and in what way Remeron would help this.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- High Court judge caught up in maintenance tug of war between ex-husband and daughter
- KwaZulu-Natal Health Department in suspect R82 million deal
- OPINION | Bavuma captaincy might be a gamble, but it's one worth taking
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19423 votes