Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
15 Jun 2004
My 7 yr-old son is a nerd....
And I'm so worried about him. He is doing very well in school, but he says that he doesn't like playing with the other children. Throughout my whole school career I was labeled as a 'nerd' by the other children, causing alienation and difficulty in making friends. I don't want this to happen to my son! He says that his classmates don't want him to play with them. How do I handle this? I know that he can be very self-righteous which might annoy other children. According to my ex-husband however, there is absolutely nothing wrong. I've tried to get my xh to take my son to a child psychologist, but he always has excuses. His medical aid doesn't pay for therapy... Or he can't find a child psychologist nearby...
What can I do?
What can I do?
Well, Liza, some of us nerds do turn out to be rather useful folks in life ! It sounds as if you're judging his situation and future according to your own history. From what you say, it's you who are worried about this situation, not the boy. Some kids aren't impressed by their schoolmates, and don't much like playing wih them --- and it's not compulsory.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Struggling to convince someone who's vaccine-hesitant to get Covid-19 jab? Try this approach
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for a Covid-19 jab
- PODCAST | HIV unmuted: Aids and the elusive vaccine
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets under way countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- OPINION | Berry lekker: How urban foraging is one way to help feed SA's hungry
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule ties ANC's hands
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20349 votes