Ask an expert

14 Aug 2007

Need 2 help Mom
Hi Doc
My mother is 56 and I think she has depression, she used to be full of life when we were younger. She went to a hair school, i think that is what she loved doing then, but then my Dad told her to leave evething and rather take care of us. I have got 2 sisters left aged 23 and 28, I'm 24 the oldest was 30 when she passed away in 2004.

It has been over 4 years since her condition worsned, we always thot she will be better and do something for herself, but nothing has changed.

The only thing she does now is wake up, sit and watch TV the whole day, eat then go to sleep at night.
She doen't bother waking up and brushing her teeth or clean up her room, sometimes she leaves the bed unmade and just sits on this one chair in the house the whole day.At times weeks go by without her taking a bath or even changing her clothes, and the smell becomes so bad that we cannot sit next to her at times, we all know how hard it is to tell the ext person to bath or even change clothes. Sometimes my sister and i have to sneek into her bedroom while she's sleeping and take her clothes and soak them or even hide them so she can get a clean set of clothes. She does not even want to see people when they come by the house sometimes, se doesn't even have friends the visites her, and I dont remember in my long life her visiting anybody socially.

Yesteray she opened up to my younger sister and told her that she wishes she had money of her own so she can move out of the house, she does not want to be with my dad anymore. She even said that she feels worthless in life and she sometimes wishes she was dead, in fact she told my sister that she'll end it all n take her life cause there si nothing for her to live for.

There problems are more that this block I have to wright in. I just need someone proffesional out there to help. I wish u could recommend someone that is not ver costly cause we do not have money to pay for sociall services. Anybody out there please help.

We eed her to see life in a different light and also our relationshp with her is becoming damaged by he day cause she doesnt even want to talk to anybody in the house. My sister and I need to find her something she'll do in life, woman social clubs or cooking classes or something, if anybody can help we would really be greatfull.Any help would be welcome. T- Johannesburg.
Answer 349 views

01 Jan 0001

It certainly sounds as though you are indeed describing a major depression --- which should respond very well to proper treatment of it, both with medication and with proper counselling, so try to persuade her to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and advice on treatment. Even a single assessment session could provide a diagnosis and advice on treatment, which at least as regards medication, she could then get from a GP or clinic.
Your idea of getting her involved in community activities is a good one--- but of course, not knowing your particular community, I can't advise on what is available locally
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.