Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
28 Sep 2006
Nervous breakdown, going mad, loosing it
I was wondering how do you know if you are going to have a nervous breakdown or if you are starting to loose the plot. I feel like im just plodding along, i can be dead on the inside, but the anti-depressants make me smile on the outside. Im just having so much trouble focusing, concentrating, sleeping or being committed. How do I know whats wrong with me and when its the point i need more help?
Jen, a "nervous breakdown" is a vague general term not used by shrinks, but OK, call it "losing the plot". There are various plots one can lose. And it sounds as though you have perhaps a depression, but one that is maybe incompletely treated. Do arrange to see a good local psychiatrist for a proper assessment to be sure you're on the right antidepressant at the right dose, and also ask to see someone who can supply CBT counselling, which has been proved to be very effective, and works specifically with all those negative thoughts and assumptions that can otherwise anchor you within a Depression.
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Some Covid-19 'long-haulers' showing signs of fatigue, mood disorders three months after infection
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- ANALYSIS | After demanding his trial start, is Zuma finally going to plead to the case against him?
- Adriaan Basson | Tata ma chance, tata ma Covid-19 vaccines
- 'He flooded Cape Flats communities with guns' - anger over former cop's release
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9475 votes
68% - 20308 votes