Ask an expert

13 Sep 2007

Poor Service Makes me lose control
This week I have had several fights with institutions taht have made my blood boil. One was a bank and the other was a car rental company. After the fights both have treated me with kid gloves.

The problem Is I get into such a rage and I cannot control my anger. I do not have these problems at work or eith people close to me. It just seems I lose it when dealing with service organisations I pay alot of money to. When I call a company like Telkom and have been waiting close to an hour to get through I am in such a rage that I can't help it. I really feel bad after the fact but still the anger does not subside.

How does one deal with this anger is it normal?
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, I certainly hope it is normal, because I share such feelings of rage. Telkom is notorious for lousy customer service, as is out local City Council. And part of the problem, surely, is the inane system they now have for dealing with calls, which runs you through a series of daft and unnatural menus, before you get to wait for ages to speak to a real human being, who is often only too eager to lose your call and force you to start all over again. I reckon with all public services, there ought to be a law that says, when the average waiting time in busy periods for a caller to speak to a live person exceeds, say 3 minutes, they MUST hire more staff to deal with the calls.
Its the sense that you are payign for something you are not getting, because they don't want to give it to you, and that you are powerless. WOuld that there were a national campaign to Empower the Customers.
And another thing that ought to be banned --- if you ask to speak to their supervisor, they always lie and say she is in a meeting or otherwise NEVER EVER available. Its obvious the staff answering phones have been threated if they ever put a caller through to someone who could actually help, and they're usually reading from a script written by an idiot.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes