Ask an expert

13 Sep 2006

Problem child in school - 6 years
My son's been acting up at his new prim school (previously in creche) - grade R, he's best friend has gone overseas, and he hasnt made friends easily, he doesnt want to go to school, and has recently been fighting and vindictive towards his school mates. The teacher says that he is emotionally unstable, although until recently he's school work wasnt affected. At the beginning of the year he has a bit of a bully problem as well. He's very unhappy and the teacher says emotionally he'll not be ready for grade 1. He's very withdrawn and doesnt want anyone near him, or participate in group activities, please help (i cannot afford to send him to a clinical psychologist.
Answer 353 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, if he is bothered by losing his best and rare friend, and is being bullied, no wonder he isn't keen to go to school. Can't the teachers prevent and stop the bullying ? Can't the school provide at least a consultation with a psychologist experienced in such problems ? Check out, too, what might be available thropugh your nearest large state hospital or medical school
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.