Ask an expert

04 Mar 2003

Professional assistance
I have written to you before regarding my high stress levels due to a noise intolerance - specifically loud music from neighbours and irritating radio at work. I have found that I am not coping well with these high stress levels and would like to visit a psychiatrist / psychologist. Please can you tell me how to identify a professional that would be able to help me in the Durban area. I know you probably can t give me names for ethical reasons.

I am not sure whether I should see a psychiatrist or psychologist. I feel constantly 'on the edge' for no real reason.

Thanks for your time.
Answer 307 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Craigy,
Well there are a number of good srinks in Durban. For the sort of problem you have described before, maybe a psychiatrist would be better, as he/she could consider any physical problems that might form part of your troubles, and could use medications as well as psychological treatments. It's possible that some iniial caeful medcation might take off that 'edge" that has made you hypersensitive to noise, with psychological treatments helping you to discover better ways of coping with it when you encounter such situations.
I'm told that elsewhere within the Health24 site, there is a service by which you can check out for the names and some details of doctors / psychologists practising in different parts of the country, and see who might be conveniently placed for you to see them.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.