Ask an expert

20 Sep 2006

Professional Help
Hello CS,

I was hoping you could explain the difference between the following 'supports' in terms of qualifications, and in what instances you'd visit each:
Life Coach

Also, I'm at a point in my life that I'm feeling a little empty i.e. not being fulfilled by my career & needing change/motivation to change. I honestly don't believe it to be anything deep-rooted (i.e. that it isn't resulting from eg. depression) - I think it's more a case of me realising that I'm stuck in a rut and need to get out.
I'd like to discuss this with someone professional. What type of professional do you think is best suited (& a good choice financially)?

Need a Heave-Ho
Answer 333 views

01 Jan 0001

Good response from Rick ; someone in Industrial / Vocational Psychology could help test your interests and apritudes and advise what you'd be most suitable for. A Psychologist is presumably a clinical psychologist , requiring a full degree, postgraduate training, etc. A Psychiatrist needs a full medical degree followed by years of postgraduate training. Both can do psychotherapy, counselling, though people with a lesser amount of training can also do counselling, depending on the sort of issues they will deal with, ranging from some weeks or months, to a year or more, and the longer the better, frankly.
Also frankly, I consider "Life Coaches" to be self-important quacks, with no recognized or properly regulated training or qualifications, and no evidence that anything they do is ever genuienly useful
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.