Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
13 Aug 2007
I am struggling this last two years with this "distant" feeling - as if I am not in contact with my emotions - very weird. Done a whole bunch of medical examinations - all came out great - even passed my flying medical. So physically I am ok - but I still struggle with this distant feeling. I have searched the internet umpteenth times - and saw something interesting called pyroluria - a shortage of B6 and Zinc - that can be one of the causes of depression, anxiety etc. Would like to have your comments on this please - as it appears to be one of those grey disputed areas...
A physical cause is rather unlikely, so you'd do better to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment of that side of things. There is NO good evidence ( other than from people profitting from selling vitamins and mineral supplements ) that Zinc shortage is ever related to significant depression.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Ditch the itch – using bacteria to combat eczema flareups
- Breast cancer: Is milk a risk factor?
- Covid-19 damages the heart by killing its muscle cells, study finds
- An obsession with ‘likes’ on social media akin to animals seeking food rewards, new study reports
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- What we know about the charges against former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste
- The big picture | ‘The loss of humanity’: South Africa and the Global South’s battle for Covid-19 vaccine justice
- Karyn Maughan | How the WC Judge President has faced 10 major scandals, without any sanction
- 'You can never take a break': Workers speak on SA's grim Covid-19 anniversary
- Mark Gevisser | Covid-19: One year on, and a deepening inequality
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9375 votes
67% - 19411 votes