Ask an expert

20 Sep 2006

Really upset about peoples attitudes
I just need to vent. I am so angry right now. I have a friend who has gone thru a rough time, divorce, 3 kids, selfish bastard for a husband ect, and apart from always being there to listen to her and help her pick up the pieces, I have contributed to her financially, bought her furniture, helped her clothe her kids, paid her rent and put food on her table during months of bad times. For the first time today EVER I asked her to help me, it would mean taking 20 minutes out of her day, and she said no. I dont have a car, and my sons fish tank pump has blown, my son is also a special needs kid, and his fish are his way of getting him to communicate, already two have died, and she would not even get off her backside to help! It meant that she would have to drive 10 km to get the pump! I cant believe that it would be too much effort, she knows my sons history and the reason behind the fish, she knows just how important the fish are to him, and for once I just expected her to say fine she would help out, she knows I would reimburse her petrol, and pay her for her time. Am I just looking at this wrong, because right now I want nothing to do with her anymore, but I cant do that because then her kids suffer!
Sorry am just so upset about the selfishness of it all!
Answer 281 views

01 Jan 0001

Vent way --- that is one of the functions of this forum ! ( She vent thataway ? )
How disappointing that this woman so calmly acepts everything you have done for her and given to her, and can't be bothered to help you in so small a way, in return ! Your disappointment and anger is entirely normal and wholesome, and so is your loss of the desire to help her. Maybe at least your help should be suspended for a while, until she appreciates that it is not her RIGHT and not to be taken for granted. And her kids are HER responsibility, and that of HER husband, not yours. She needs to re-evaluate her dependent style of life
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20240 votes