Ask an expert

22 Oct 2008

I was on Ritalin in high school and in varsity, and have been working now for about 3 years without Ritalin. I am struggling to remember things, and I want to go back onto Ritalin. However I am not sure where to go for a prescription. Previous I went to an Educational psychiatrist t. Who would I contact, do I need to see a psychiatrist or a gp ? Also, what is the cost of Ritalin now? Previous my dad’ s medical aid paid for it, however now I an only on a hospital plan.
Thank you
Answer 244 views

01 Jan 0001

Hard to predict. Some GPs would understand and take note of your previous treatment --- maybe even could call your previous doc for information or confirmation. Otherwise, especially as there could possibly be a different reason for these present symptoms, it'd probably be wisest to see a good local psychiatrist for re-assessment and a discussion of this compared with other treatment options. Once diagnosis and treatment plan is clear, follow-on care and prescriptions could be from your GP. I'm not sure of the cost of Ritalin as such, but its been around so long there should be cheaper generic versions available --- be sure to discuss cost with whoever you see, so they can take this into account
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19997 votes