Ask an expert

22 Apr 2003

I Recently started dating a very beautiful and creative woman. She is 24 and I am 29. We have been together for about a month. I am completely in love with 'one of her'. However she can change completely in a second and becomes someone opposite to the loving person I fell in love with. She is seeing a homeopath at the moment, but it does not seem to be working as well as we have hoped. What else can we do to treat this desease, seeing that I try to support her as far as I can, but we definitely do need more help. She has a big desire to be cured, but is scared. Please help.
Answer 326 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, Nick, firstly, we need to find out if there is indeed any disease present, and, if so, what it is. No homeopath is in any way qualified to diagnose schizophrenia or any similar major mental illness, so he/she is the last person to ask --- and homeopathy has no effective treatment for such serious illnesses.
Now, schizophrenia, despite the ignorant way it is usually shown on TV and in films, is NOT a "dual personality" in which someone switches between two different personalities --- this, when it seems to be happening, is usually a personality disorder, needing treatment from a skilled shrink. Schizphrenia is a very sad illness in which a person has inceasing difficulty in organizing their life and in managing the ways of thinking and planning that we need to life productively.
What sounds like it's needed, is for her to see a good psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, for a comprehensive assessment of her state of mind, and a consideration fo whether there is any disorder present, needing treatment. Then they can discuss the results of such an assesssment, and the recommended treatments. If there is anything significant wrong, then, with her large desire to get better, and your support, she should have an excellent chance of getting better, and no need to be scared.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.