Ask an expert

23 Oct 2006

Seriously worried..
I'm not gonna say much about my situation, just that I have a problem with controlling my temper.

I only drink on occassion, don't take any strong medication, don't do drugs, but somedays I lose it and get very aggressive - I'm so ashamed to say - physically. This is ruining my relationship.

I need to do something about this problem, I was in counselling last year and am doing much better, with some other problems that I had. I never took meds, just CBT. I've had enough of not being able to control myself / having to concentrate so hard to control my thoughts and the words that come from my mouth, should I see my doctor and ask for a mood stabilizer? or what!

If I really make an effort with the way I think - to in a way change my feelings (anger, depression, with feelings of extreme adrenaline that scare me senseless), I am able to control my behaviour, but end up tired and drained and stressed. Then when I get stressed I lose my cool and afterwards have to start my process of recovery all over again.

Somedays it feels so hopeless, I can't cope anymore and I'm so tired of feeling guilty and sad after one of my 'fits', and the stresses of damage contol afterwards makes me so depressed. I'm hurting the one I love most.

Please help me - please no harsh comments, I'm extremely fragile as it is and beat myself up about it enough.

ps. I'm a female.
Answer 319 views

01 Jan 0001

Have you noticed any relationship between the drinking and the times when it's difficult for you to control your temper ? Cbt sounds like the right idea. Ask for an assessment, from a psychiatrist or maybe your CBT therapist, as to whether they think medication could help you to gain still more control over the anger. Sounds like the CBT pathway wasn't completed, as it shouldn't be so tiring to use it. It's not hopeless, and you can manage this !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.