Ask an expert

19 Jul 2011

Sleep terror
I have been experiencing sleep terror. The last time I experienced this was abt 6 yrs ago. I sit upright, say things and experience fear, see things that are not there, and I feel anger. I feel so tired all day. I did ask the sleep doc but advised to see doc. I want to know do you think I should see a psychologist? My husband is also losing sleep over this. I do have issues I suppose and anxieties and I worry about everything.
Answer 334 views

01 Jan 0001

Sleep terrors as such are usually diagnosed in children, rather than adults, but I can understand that you have been experiencing something similar. Sounds more like a dissociative problem than a pure sleep disorder ; seeing a psychiatrist would be a good idea, for a thorough assessment and diagnosis ( as psychiatrists are also fully trained medical doctors ).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.