Ask an expert

17 Jan 2006

social anxiety disorder
I am the mother of a social anxiety disorder sufferer. He lives in his own home but is finding it harder and harder to cope and becoming more socially withdrawn. He sees us 3+ times per week for dinner etc but now wants to come home to live. This would not work for our sake (we are moving to a smaller home) or his own sake as he admits that all he wants to do is hide with us and give up the few social contacts he has. Can anyone help me to help him see that whilst this may be a short term solution to aid his suffering now, in the long term this would be disasterous as he will not get better by hiding from life and seeking help.
Answer 284 views

01 Jan 0001

He needs to see a good local shrink, for medication and CBT counselling, an this problem can be cleared up fairly soon. THAT's what he needs --- changing where he hides from the world doesn't solve anything. Also get him to try the book " Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness by Gillian Butler ( available through online )
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19306 votes