Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Aug 2007
stuck with my poor self-image
I have never had any self-confidence even though I am highly intelligent (objective IQ tests) and not ugly. After realising only in middle age that my poor opinion of myself has sabotaged everything in my life since childhood, I still cannot get myself into gear. I have tried positive affirmations, I have tried behaving myself out of the bad behaviour (emotional overeating, not wanting to get up, do things, go out, being negative, never standing up for myself or my opinion, never doing anything that is good for me or my body). I suspect that I may be in a marriage and have a family who prefer the way I have always been and are unsupportive, but I think that's no excuse. I really need to look after myself better but I fail every day, day after day, week after week,...always. I know what to do but why can't I do it?
Well, valeries, you've suffered from this poor self-image for long enough --- see a good CBT oriented therapist and work through this, to gain self-esteem and confidence, and to start enjoying life more. CBT is important because it attend both to the maladaptive behaviour, but also to the unhelpful automatic thoughts and assumptions which are troubling you. And you may have made a very wise observation, that marriages and families sometimes build themselves around the disorder one of its members suffers from, and they may even resist your attempts to get better, as they would have to re-organize their own lives and styles, if you improved and became more free
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Traditional healers in South Africa are exposed to infection, but few can get protective gear
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Experts want greater transparency about delayed skin reactions some people get from Moderna vaccine
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Christo Wiese: Don't blame SA prosecutors for slow pace of 'extremely complicated' Steinhoff probe
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Former intelligence head Barry Gilder: 'There is a need for young voices in SA'
- ‘It was always there’: German envoy Martin Schäfer remembers Shoah survivor Veronica Phillips
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19423 votes