Ask an expert

28 Sep 2008

violent son
My son' s(26) girlfriend broke up with him after 7 years. At first it looked as if he made peace with it but after about 10 days he started asking questions. When a man started visiting her he became aggressive and started smashing things and threatens to commit suicide or kill her. I am a widow and he stays with me. I tried to get him help but he refuses and says all he wants is her. I am desperate.
Answer 312 views

01 Jan 0001

Sorry to hear of your awful predicament. Is it possible that you could persuade him that the way he is behaving will alarm her and make her less likely to come back, whereas seeking proper help would demonstrate to her that he recognizes there are problems and that he is trying to sort these out ? If there seems to be a real risk of him harming someone, this is serious, but hard to deal with in that the police, even if ever efficient are usualyl reluctant to act on threats ( which are also hard to prove ), and compulsory admission, theoretically possible, can be hard to arrange. Having the consent or request of the next of kin, such as yourself, helps, and you could discus this option with your doctor, as it would need medical reports and signatures, too.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20030 votes