Ask an expert

24 May 2004

Want to help in rape councelling
Hi Doctor,

I'm interested in becoming a part-time councellor - specifically in rape victims. Is there possibly anyone I can contact? What kind of qualifications are required? I work full time, so it will have to be after hours for me.

Kind Regards,
Answer 314 views

01 Jan 0001

TO explore possibilities of getting some basic training it'd probably be best to check your local resources and phone book ( and maybe a group like POWA and maybe even the police would know of them ) to find a local voluntary NGA doing work with victims of rape and/or other crimes, and then contact such organizations to see if they are recruiting and training counsellors. You would want to work with a reputable organization, which uses properly fully trained shrinks as their trainers, and which provides not only training but supervision ( with the pportunity to work initially with an experienced counsellor, and to discuss your work and improve on it as you proceed ).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.