Ask an expert

20 Oct 2008

Hi Cybervet,

My 2yr old male Jack Russel eats ants! He will sit for hours staring at the tile floor catching the small black ants. They then get stuck on his tongue and he keeps on pushing his tongue out as if he is chewing a chappy!

Is this at all dangerous/unhealthy for him? We cant spray poison for the ants because we are scared he might consume the poison whilst ant hunting.

This is a very strange thing and I' ve never seen it before.

Answer 409 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Patat

It is not dangerous but if you want to break the habit keep him indoors while you get rid of the ants with a poison. Ask for one that is not dangerous to animals.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.