Ask an expert

11 Jan 2006

From 2 Dogs to 3
Dear Sir

I wonder if you could please guide me. I have a spade female golden labrador of 4 years old & then I got a male schnauzer as a companion for my labrador. The male schnauzer I got is about 6 years old & has never been neuted. I've had him now for 2 years. He gets on really well with my labrador. The only thing is when I take the schnauzer for his walks he wants to go for other dogs. He is quite aggressive to other dogs.

Now my folks have had a "lassie" collie dog for 11 years & they are leaving for overseas shortly. This collie is still in good shape at the age of 11. He is also not neuted. I want to take him over but am not sure about my schnauzer's reaction to him. We have tried to walk the 3 dogs together at the beach but the collie just walks next to my Dad & ignores my 2 dogs even though the labrador tries to make friends. I do however have to keep my schnauzer on the lead as he wants to attack the collie. Do you think I should get the schnauzer neuted to take away some of his aggression toward other dogs? I really want to take this collie as I would hate him to have to go to a shelter at this stage of his life. Also he is still strong & it would be sad to just put him down!

Please help.


Answer 338 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear LOL

At the age that the Schnauzer is at, the castration might not help. There is always a chance and if you do have him castrated, make sure you ask for a hormone injection as well. The hormone injection will calm the dog down alot quicker in conjuction with the castration. There are also some other ways to get the two introduced, but I would suggest you get an accredited animal behaviourist to assist you with this. They will then also be able to tell you if it would be adviseable and if you might have problems.
You can contact the following website: They have the names of all the registered consultants and you would be able to find one in your area.

Good Luck

Animal Behaviourist
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.