Ask an expert

07 Feb 2006

away from home and in dental pain
Dear Doc.. I am away from home and i am suferring shocking / throbbing pain on my last two teeth lower jaw right side after eating or drinking coffee, also a bit of gum swelling. Is it something i may be eating? The shocking pain i describe as putting ice on sensitive teeth. This pain lasts for an hour or so. As i do not wish to undergo any treatment can you please advise how i can control this pain for another two weeks? Would gargling with bicarbonate soda help? With a strong pain killer it does subside, however the pain killer causes drowsiness and i prefer not to take 6 pain killers a day. Please help, and advise what to do. Ta!
Answer 364 views
Dental expert
dental expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Mike,

Rinsing with bicarb will not help. Try relieving the pressure on those teeth by eating on the other side. There is most likely an abscess (gum swelling) so you would need antibiotics.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.