Ask an expert

18 Sep 2007

I have had tinnitus for over ten years but about two weeks ago the sound changed and on research on the internet i found that it could be something to do with TMJ ?

What do i do - who do i see and what does this all mean?

Can you help with a bit of info and advise please

Answer 441 views
Dental expert

01 Jan 0001

sometimes tinnitus is linked to problems with the TMJ (joint near your ear). If you are grinding alot or have had damage done to the joint for some or other reason eg occlusion problems, the symptoms can include ringing or other sounds in the ears.
I would advise you to see a maxillofacial specialist, have xrays and other investigations of the joint done and then proceed with treatment depending on the findings. sometimes a "guard" is all that is necessary to treat the condition, more extensive treatment involves surgery but this is rare.

HOWEVER you first need to ascertain if the sound is indeed a cause of the TMJ, so I suggest a consult with an ENT specialist as well
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19299 votes