Ask an expert

13 Sep 2006

What is normal
Okay here goes.
I am sure you have been asked this many times over. What is normal? I have been diagnosed with type II diabetes, I am 47. I have taken no medication since diagnosis, 3 years ago. However I have been taking regular blood test measurements. The levels recorded have been 5.2 -9 .00 a bit of a yo-yo. (In xtreme cases 12.00-16.00 very rare.) At the moment I measure on average 6.5.

Recently I went for treatment for gout. Before treatment I asked my docter to check my blood sugar level, it was 12.9! I wanted cortezone he said no way. 48 hours later I was diagnosed again as type II. This was done through blood tests an fasting. I was then prescribed Glucophage 500mg, twice a day.

I have been on this medication for 6 weeks. Levels now range from 4.2 - 9.5. 4.2 only once. I would say the average is 7.5. I am fit, Weigh 97kg's and have no high blood pressure. I do not do sugar,

What is considered normal? and Can one reverse this condition?
Answer 415 views
Diabetes expert
diabetes expert

01 Jan 0001

FG, I assume your diabetes was confirmed either by a diagnostic fasting blood sugar or via a glucose tolerance test. If that is so, one can accept that you have type 2 diabetes and treat it accordingly. Not doing sugar is not all that is required. You need to see a dietitian interested in diabetes to be advised exactly how to modify caloric intake and content. Weight reduction may markedly improve your glucose status and even eliminate the neccesity for medical therapy. Regular exercise also improve insulin action and also advised.

We usually make use of an HBA1C test along with glucose levels to evaluate control in diabetics. This test provides information regarding longer term control (~3months). If this value is below 7%, control is regarded as adequate. In addition to good glucose control, it is important that you have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked and managed appropriately if need be.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.