Ask an expert

26 Apr 2003

Bloated,gas filled tummy - and very painful
I have been diagnosed with IBS by a Gastroenterologist and also suffer from excessive stomach gas - which is extremely painful. I was wondering whether there is any medication on the market that will help alleviate the problem. Years ago, I recall somebody mentioning a chalk like substance. Has anybody heard of something similar.

Answer 392 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
I trust that the physician prescribed medication such as Colefac or similar medicines for your condition? If not, then discuss this with him/her. Products such as activated charcoal also help for the excess gas. You can purchase it at pharmacies. In the meanwhile you need to keep a food diary for about 2 weeks noting down what foods you eat and the discomfort they cause you. Eliminate the offending foods from your diet (e.g. spicy foods, alcohol, etc).
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.