Ask an expert

01 Feb 2006

Bulemic wife
Hi doc

My wife has recently opened up to me about the fact that she has been a bulemic for the past ten years. She is worried it is seriously affecting her health and teeth etc. I am obviously concerned as i am aware this problem is mentally based and requires dieticians and physcologists as well as family gp to sort out. I would like to know how i can help her in everyday life and what dietary advice you have to overcome. Along with ssri's what other medicines vitamins can we use.

Thanks for the help
Answer 449 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Worried Husband
You are right to be worried as bulimia can destroy a person's health and no one can go on purging and vomiting all the time without serious health effects. Bulimia is Eating Disorder, which needs to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help your wife work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again. The dietitian will also recommend which vitamin supplements she requires at this stage. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Get your wife to for for expert help ASAP.
Holding thumbs for both of you
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.