Ask an expert

14 Aug 2007

I have a history of dehydration. I have gained 12kg over the last ten years. During this period I have been inactive and gained the weight not through my regular healthy diet but from a large consumption of red wine. Four months ago I decided enough was enough and started walking 4 days a week for 30 minutes. (15 minutes up a steep hill) I have also started swimming and swim 30 minutes 4 times a week. Over the last four months my weight has increased by another 2 kg despite the exercise.

I have tried drinking a litre of water a day and 4 cups of rooibos tea (no milk or sugar). Is this fluid intake enough and do you have any ideas on how to get my metabolism to be more effective.
Answer 374 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Alison
Gradual weight increases of about 1 kg per year (1.2 kg in your case) do occur as individuals get older. I presume that you have stopped drinking the large quantities of red wine? This should reduce your energy intake by 300 kJ per 100 ml of wine that you don't drink! Your exercise programme is excellent and should promote weight loss and simulate your metabolism. The 2 kg gain you have just experienced could be due to development of lean muscle mass that ironically weighs more than fat tissue! If you find that you are still gaining weight despite this good exercise programme and cutting out the red wine, then I would suggest that you try using energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Adults require 2.5 litres of liquid per day. At present you are ingesting 1 litre of water plus 250 ml rooibos x 4 = 1000 ml or 1 litre = 2 litres of liquid a day. I would, therefore, recommend that you add another 2 cups of rooibos or 500 ml of water to your liquid intake, especially in view of the fact that you say that you have a history of dehydration.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19295 votes