Ask an expert
Question

26 May 2004

MSG
Hi Doc

I would just like to know, I heard that MSG is not good for one to ingest. I see this is contained in cup a soup. Is this safe to use if it is contained in a product? What is the negatives of MSG? Thank you
Answer 388 views
Expert
DietDoc
DietDoc

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lady
MSG or monosodium-glutamate is a flavouring agent that enhances taste sensations. As you know, sodium is found in practically every food and also in table salt. The glutamate part of this product is also found in many foods such as soy beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and even in mother's milk. Thus the human body is equipped to metabolise glutamate as it occurs naturally in foods and also when added as the sodium salt. There is a very small percentage of individuals who are sensitive to glutamates (a fraction of less than 2% of the population), but if you don't react to foods like mushrooms, then the chances are good that you won't react to MSG either.
Best regards
DietDoc
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.