Ask an expert

14 Sep 2007

Pregnancy weight & Insulin Resistant
I struggled to conceive and my gynae determined that I was Insulin Resistant. After drinking Glucophage, going on a low GI diet and fertility treatment I fell pregnant and had my baby in January this year. I gained about 20kg during my pregnancy and I was already 20kg overweight when I fell pregnant. The trouble is that I am now really struggling to loose the weight. Everyone said the kg's will just melt away when you breastfeed, but that was not the case for me. Now after I've stopped breastfeeding I've managed to loose 5kg in 2months (which feels like very slow weight-loss to me if I consider how much I still need to lose).

Is there anything I can take to help speed up my weight-loss or help suppress my appetite? I have never used a appetite suppresant before. Should I have continued with the Glucophage? A friend recommended Manna or DiabeCinn. Will they help?
Answer 399 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Sugar
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. If you are insulin resistant then you need to continue with the low-GI, low-fat diet and daily exercise for the rest of your life. If you have not as yet seen a clinical dietitian, then please do consult one (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you with the correct diet. You also need to ask the dr who prescribed the Glucophage if he/she can continue to prescribe this medication or if you need other medications because pregnancy can exacerbate insulin resistance and weight gain. If you are breastfeeding your baby then do moderate exercise like going for a walk with the baby every day for 30 min. If you are not breastfeeding then you can increase how much strenuous physical activity you do every day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min or longer.
Enjoy the baby, you must be so pleased!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.