Ask an expert

15 Aug 2006



Another hard night has passed by thank goodness...I felt obsessive last night, at midnight i had to force myself not to get out of bed and excercise. I am reading a really good book called fat is a family affair...part of me thinkis I should give it to my mom to help her realise how desperately i need to get myself into treatment.I felt so restless last night, going to bed on an empty stomach is bloody painful, let alone the fact that it felt wierd..i loay there for half an hour listening to it grumbling. I though maybe i could allow myself to eat...but when it came to doing it i couldnt, i throught i could so easily break this by eating...all i have to do is eat...but i cant. I feel frustrated and lost...i know all i have to do is just eat..just eat is all i have to do...i cannot eat therefore i cant get anyhting right. This morning I am incredibly dizzy..over the last week as restriction took a major turn for the worse i felt full of energy, but now i feel nauseas and dizzy and a wierd sort of tired.I think i shouold just keep going, that good feeling will come back..but i also know with the restriction i might get weaker..who knows anymore..this is the worst i have been in a long time..i ate dinner last night, and my body is now rejecting what i eat and drink with constant upset tummy...i feel incredibly ill today actually but here i am sitting it out forcing myself to be this normal for a body to reject food like this..???
i dont know how to tell my parents...i dont know how to do this...i dont feel like i can get better
Answer 336 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
Please, please go for help. If you are still under your parents care then you MUST tell them what is happening to you. You are suffering from an eating disorder and need professional help ASAP. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help before you ruin your whole life.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
What are your thoughts on the possibility of having permanent Stage 2 or 3 load shedding?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
I'll take that over constant schedule changes
13% - 1243 votes
Why are we normalising Eskom’s mess?
72% - 6952 votes
I've already found alternative ways of powering my home/business
15% - 1433 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.