Ask an expert

11 Jan 2010

Child written of by father
Please is possible could someone help me or just give me advice in Dec my ex husband informed me that he has written his daughter of 10 yrs of and want nothing to do with her anymore. I want to make this official or legal since Dec I' m trying to get her to get this behind her and for her to move on with her life but I don' t want him to come in a few months on even years and claim her back in his life again if you in the first place some decided that you want to write of your child then there' s no way that you can just change it back again when you feel like it. I just need to know where do I go and what is the procedure the lawyer who did my divorce 3 yrs ago has passed away in the mean time so there is no other person that I can go to for advice.

Answer 359 views
Divorce support expert
Divorce support expert

01 Jan 0001

This is a delicate matter and my question is how making this legal is going to make it any different for your daughter to move on? Whatever the father's reasons (psychological, emotional...) wouldn't your daughter perhaps want to have a choice should he decide to come back into her life? It is a very difficult dilemma and I understand that you want to protect you daughter from further hurt but writing a parent off on paper is not as easy as writing a parent off from a child's life. No matter what, he will always be her father.
I would suggest to get your daughter some counselling to be better equipped to deal with her situation.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.