Ask an expert

09 Mar 2010

Married 16 yrs....We have been to therapy, biblical counseling and even started attending church. Advise given to "  H"  well it works for 3mths then the old routine kicks in. I earn way much more than him and for some reason he has unexplained debt, which he does not know how it happened. He also overdrafted to purchased junk. I work long hours for extra monies. He just dont give a damn. We had a squabble as I took his cloths he pushed me around. He is way bigger than me I phoned to cops to have his firearm removed cos he is quiet implusive. He said I must go see a divorce lawyer, he said will resign and take everything I worked for and if he cant he will take half - I want to keep the house, we only owe R330000 so that if the kids want to study futher a second bond could help - we had to cancel all our policies due to financial reasons etc. We have two kids and only want whats best for them and is fair for me. Advise please.
Answer 482 views
Divorce support expert
Divorce support expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Tracy,

Since there are children involved I would urge you to consider a pre divorce parenting class as is mandated by the court in the USA. It sounds like you are both angry right now and any decisions made out of anger will end up hurting someone and most likely the children. Once the emotional side is addresses there are better chances at finalizing a divorce without an ugly battle.

You can contact me directly to enquire about the parenting class which is running for free at the moment.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.