Ask an expert

21 Sep 2011

painfull and swollen ear
Hi i travelled to the coast on saturday and as ussual my ears were blocked and i expected them to cler up the following day and they did not , my one ear has but now it is day 3 and my right ear is sore has a stinging sound in it , i have some sort of discharge coming out plus a bit of blood , the area behind the ear is swollen and i am loosing balance , i visited a pharmacy where i was given Sudafed and voltaren tabs and they seem to provide temporal pain relief but not permanent .
i need help do i go to hospital ? will it need surgey ?
Answer 487 views
ENT Expert
ENT Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Stan

You require urgent medical attention, as your problem could potentially be serious. It may vary from a middle ear infection and a perforated eardrum, to something more serious like a complicated middle ear infection. The swelling behind the ear is very worrying. Please see an ENT as a matter of urgency. Only a full examination can get to the bottom of the problem.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.