Ask an expert

08 Feb 2010

How do I get out?
Hi There, I hope you will be able to offer me some advice.
I have been married for nearly 12 years and I have two children aged 11 and 6. I have been emotionally abused for most of my marriage. He has never really been physical with me but there have been times that were close and he has threatened me more often than not.
I have arrived at a stage where I need to leave. Its not going to be easy going as we have a house together etc. He will be extremely angry and will threaten violence towards me and the rest of my family if I should leave.
I need to get out but also ensure my safety, my familys safety and that he does not come to my work place to threaten me.
Is there a way to do this? He is great with the kids but I know they get tense when he is in a mood and I need it all to stop.
What protection is there, if any?

Many Thanks
Answer 374 views
Family law expert
Family law expert

01 Jan 0001

You may apply for a protection order, obtained in the magistrate’s court. All that is required is you attend at the local court where you reside to apply for an interim protection order. The protection order must be served on the other party either by the sheriff of the court or by the police. There are no costs involved if you choose to have it served by the police.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20213 votes