Ask an expert

24 Feb 2010

I married my British husband when he came out to SA last April, but our relationship has subsequently broken down. He has only sent money twice for his son. I am told that as he is in the UK I have no recourse regarding getting maintenance. Do you know if this is true?
Answer 380 views
Family law expert
Family law expert

01 Jan 0001

A maintenance order that has been issued in South Africa can be enforced in the
foreign country where the maintenance defaulter lives if it is a ‘proclaimed country’
(including countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United States of
America, United Kingdom, Singapore, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Malawi,
Namibia, Kenya and Hong Kong). The maintenance order will be sent to the relevant
authority in the proclaimed country, so that it may be enforced. If you have a
provisional maintenance order, it must be confirmed before it can be enforced.

Bertus Preller
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.