Ask an expert

02 Feb 2006

Where to go for vasovasectomy?
My husband had a vasectomy about 15yrs ago. What are the chances of a reversal being succesful and where do we go to?
Answer 280 views
Fertility expert
fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Shel

It is important to see a urologist before deciding to reverse the vasectomy. The urologist will assess the testicular volume, perhaps do an ultrasound of the testicles as well and a series of blood tests which will give him an idea of the feasibility of a reversal. However, it is possible after fifteen years to have success after a reversal of a vasectomy.

As an alternative a testicular biopsy can be performed and the testicular tissue so obtained, if found to have sperm present, may be frozen and used in IVF/ICSI procedures for conception purposes. The latter is a less invasive procedure and in the final analysis will offer a better success rate.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.