Ask an expert

27 Sep 2006

Here's an interesting question
Hi there, hope you guy's can help me. I am not overwieght for my height. I have developed some extra padding around my midsection but have generally kept my shape especially around the shoulder and arm and chest region. My legs have also managed to stay pretty much the same. There is definitley more subcutaneous fat overall though. The predicament is I will be meeting up with some old friends in about 3 - 4 weeks where we will be involved in some watersports. The big question is how can I quickly get rid of my boep and generally look a lot better? Am I being unrealistic or would I be able to see at least some results?
Answer 345 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Anon

Your time constraints make this an interesting challenge, perhaps an insurmountable one. I hope not, but to try to lose fat in a specific area is very very difficult. You are not alone, and this is by far the most common question that is asked, actually. The key is that you have to realise that you can't suddenly burn fat in specific areas. That's why you have to aim for OVERALL weight loss and fat burning and the area in question will be included in this loss. For that reason, I agree with the post on the forum that says to run. Running, and other cardio activities like walking, taebo, cycling, rowing etc. are the best to lose fat, and that's your goal. So your focus should be on cardio. Whether you should try to run 5 km every day, twice a day is debatle. I suspect that you will get injured if you do this, though with only 4 weeks to go, it may be the only option. I'm a big fan of long term, big picture solutions, and so I would have said 5 km a day, 3 days a week for a couple of weeks, then 4 days a week, then up to 8 km each time, eventually settling on between 45 minutes and an hour of running, 5 days a week. That would be the long term plan. But the content of the training must definitely be cardio training.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9464 votes
68% - 20193 votes