Ask an expert

07 Aug 2007

weight gain
Hi there I'm a 24 year old lady who have a 12 months old year baby girl. My problem is that I can gain weight I still wear size 28 and don't like it. Would you please recommend some supplements and multivitamins that will make me to gain weight. every relative member in my familly is big. Please help
Answer 229 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi there

Well, it's quite an unusual problem, definitely puts you in the minority!

And mostly it comes down to diet, and for that, I bow to the better expert than me, who is Diet Doc, so this answer is mostly hers, which I recall reading in an artcle that she wrote about the topic once. I think this would help you out.

Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements which you can buy at any chemist.

Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.