Ask an expert

12 Jan 2006

What is best
I would like to know what is the best way to burn fat fast??? Cardio or weight training, i dospinning everyday but feel no results please help
Answer 325 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Sammy

Without a doubt, cardio training is the best way to burn fat. The only way you will be able to lift your metabolic rate, and therefore burn more energy including fat, is by doing regular cardio training. Weight training has its place, as I will explain, but the cardio is the vital aspect that needs to be there to kickstart weight loss.

Cardio would include activities such as walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics, swimming etc. So you are doing the right thing with your spinning. Quite why you haven't seen or felt anything is difficult to know. It may be the length of time you have been doing it - it can take months to see change, not just weeks. So you may have to be more patient. Of course, the other big big thing is diet - you can train 8 hours a day for a year and not see anything if you are not eating well, so this is an area I would encourage you to pursue.

now, with regards to weight training, it is important because lean muscle has a naturally higher metabolic rate than fat does. So, if you can increase your lean muscle mass (by weight training) then the idea is that you will also increase the metabolic rate, which means that you will, even at rest, be able to burn more energy. Hence, you will be able to keep weight off. So, that is where it fits in. However, the most important thing is to get started and to actually lose weight, you must be doing cardio training - the increase you get in metabolic rate during a 30 minute bout of cardio (and for the few hours after) far outweighs the weight training increases, and so if it's weight loss you are after, then cardio is the way to go. Once you have achieved weight loss, or you are still busy achieving it, then the weight training becomes important to sustain it.

Hope this helps
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.