Ask an expert

12 Sep 2006

Gay rights
Hi there expert,

I've been wondering, is there any way for a person to get involved with gay rights and all that, other than just signing a once off petition or so?

I am in Pretoria, and have been wondering if there are places out there that promote gay awareness and rights that one could approach to help out.

Thank you!!
Answer 461 views
Gay, lesbian and bisexual expert
gay, lesbian and bisexual expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Smiley and thanks for the post.

Since you live in Pretoria I do suggest that you contact OUT. That organisation is part of the Joint Working Group (JWG), a network of all the gay organisations active in SA, and was tasked to co-ordinate the JWG's response to the current same-sex marriage issue by the JWG's committee. Triangle Project is an active member of the JWG and is co-ordinating the process in the Western Cape.

Previously we had a national gay rights advocacy organisation and I am told that this organisation is currently trying to resurrect itself. Until then, the the organisations that are members of the JWG are trying to cope and I do know that OUT are taking some strain. Your offering assistance would certainly be welcome.

Don't under-estimate the value of writing to your local press - right-wing fundamental Christian groups are very vocal (reportedly, with funding from the USA) and every gay-friendly letter that is published is a benefit.

Boyboy, I'll try to include the media contact list above our forum (with the debate and petition, above).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.