Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
26 Mar 2003
45 years old. Suffer from serious stomach cramps and sometimes very heavy bleeding.
I use Microval as I feel that this makes the menstrual cramps slightly better and also controls the heavy flows. However, the last month I had my periods twice and not once since then. I am a smoker - 20 a day. Some months I will have a very normal period without heavy flows or much pain, but then some months I will feel as if I am dying.
You are probably perimenopausal now. The hormonal changes at this time may account for your symptoms. However, it would also be important to exclude other causes such as uterine or cervical problems. If you have not had a recent gynae check and pap smear, you should do so.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Obesity linked to increased in-hospital mortality in Covid-19 patients, especially men
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Humble rooibos is now a superfood, and SA could be cashing in
- Ofentse Mokwena | Recommendations to fix the transport industry are too little, too late
- Who is Prince Misuzulu?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9470 votes
68% - 20263 votes