Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
26 Jan 2006
I have been having very heavy painful periods( the pain is not isolated to my lower abdomen but all over my stomach area up to just under my ribs) since April last year, after a check up everything seemed fine. Just before Christmas I developed a severe pain in my left side, my GP sent me for a scan thinking it was my intestine as the pain travelled up my left side, it turned out to be a 6/7 cm ovarian cyst. I saw a Gynae who said it was a complex cyst and I would need a partial hysterectomy ie the one ovary and uterus, esp as I also had painful periods. I then consulted my Gynae who didn't examine me but confirmed what the other Gynae had said. I was given Veltex and Myprodol for the pain, I was to be booked in straigt away but asked for the op to be postponed as it was over Christmas/New Year. After a few days on the pills the pain went away, I continued taking the Veltex but have stopped now. The pain has disappeared but I noticed quite alot of bleeding after intercourse. Is a hysterectomy the only option?
If you are over 40 years, the concern would be that this is cancerous. I would suggest you have a repeat scan and, if the cyst is still there,an operation would be necessary. What exactly is done at the operation will depend on the appearance of the cyst at surgery.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Scientists find over 100 harmful substances in plastic children’s toys
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Some employees hate team bonding activities, so they should be made entirely voluntary, say researchers
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Covid-19: Why Solidarity's vaccine procurement plan may not be feasible
- Brian Molefe adamant that Ramaphosa's 'influence' was used to seal dodgy coal deal
- Electoral Bill seeks to protect voters' personal info 'from unreasonable disclosures'
- 'If I get time, I will': Zandile Gumede open to visiting Zuma
- 'Mama, I'm going to play' - final words young boy spoke to his mom before drowning
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9370 votes
67% - 19367 votes