Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- ADHD Expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Asthma Expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Cough Expert
- Oral health expert
- Depression expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
- Sex expert
- Sinusitis Expert
- Sleep disorders expert
25 Jan 2006
I have been diagnosed with endometriosis phase III in July 2003. Since then my doctor has put me on Nur-Isterate. I get injections every 7 weeks.
I am worried about side-affects, especially on the long term. What are the dangers? What is Nur-Isterate -- I mean what hormones does it contain and how does it keep the endometriosis in check? How long can one be on it before it has negative long-term effects?
My endometriosis seems to be ok, except that I have a constant pain just above my right groin and sometimes in the groin itself. My doctor can't find anything wrong, but the pain is sometimes semi-acute, especially when I lie down. Could it be due to the endometriosis?
Nuristerate contains progesterone. It works by suppressing the growth of the endometriosis. One of the long term side effects is thinning of the bones. If your endometriosis is under control, perhaps you could stop the Nuristerate now. It is possible that the endometrisois has caused some adhesions and this is causing pain. A laparoscopy would be able to tell if this si the case.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Coronavirus variants update: One has spread to over 90 countries, two on WHO watchlist
- What is a nutritionally balanced diet and how do you achieve it?
- Low-quality maternal diet during pregnancy may be linked with late-childhood obesity
- Two more J&J trials underway to test vaccine in pregnant women and adolescents, and two-dose effect
- More than 87 000 papers about coronavirus published since onset of pandemic
- 'I know what happened' - Vanara stands by his evidence after Hlophe acquits Bongo of corruption
- Covid-19: SA begins process to register Russia's Sputnik V vaccine
- Ace is next, Bongani Bongo tells supporters after charges against him dropped
- Redi Tlhabi | Subliminal racism at the root of eNCA mask furore
- SATURDAY PROFILE | New AU court judge Dumisa Ntsebeza: 'Zuma's lawyer already asked me about court'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19322 votes