Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
16 Jan 2006
i there, this might be a funny question but i am just really interested to know: my friend is one of a twin (27 years old) and her mother was told at birth that her and her twin are identical twins (which i understand as being 1 egg and 1 sperm which have fertilised and then spilt) but the thing is that her and her sister look nothing alike, short and tall, thinner and fatter, different faces etc... now how do they KNOW if they are identical or non identical twins when they "come out"......
The way to determine if they are identical twins is to check whether they share a placenta and whether there are blood vessel connections between the two sacs. This can sometimes be tricky.
- Could following a vegan diet lead to poor bone health? Here’s what a study found
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Phone call anxiety: Why so many of us have it, and how to get over it
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Covid: A distorted sense of smell is dangerous but treatable
- High Court judge caught up in maintenance tug of war between ex-husband and daughter
- INTERVIEW | Branches or not, we are SA's largest digital bank and we are not done - Capitec CEO
- Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste has been charged in Germany. Now what?
- Gauteng DA says it's not defying national leaders by voting to oust Gauteng Premier David Makhura
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Former intelligence head Barry Gilder: 'There is a need for young voices in SA'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes