Ask an expert

07 Aug 2007

Dear Gynae, I had a hysterectomy a few months ago and since then I have had bladder problems. At first I was leaking, I was given medication for this, it has worked only to stop the leaking (not so much leaking) but if I cough or laugh or anything like that urine gushes out. I permanently have a pad on. PLease can you advise me on what to do. I would also like to know if there are specialist gynae/urologists and if so how can I find one?
Answer 400 views

01 Jan 0001

It sounds like you have stress incontinence. If this only started after the hysterectomy, the first thing that has to be excluded is any damage to the bladder. You are right that you should see a urogynaecologist. You should be able to find one at the teaching hospital in your area.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9378 votes
67% - 19422 votes