Ask an expert

08 Apr 2003

I am pregnant and due in August. I study far from home which is in Gauteng. I cannot afford to stay long at home to await the birth because that would already be close to exam writing. I also cannot afford to pass the year because I would lose my scholarship. I need the best for my baby which means I have to perform well at school.

I am trying to device a plan without putting my unborn baby in danger. I would like to know a few things.

1. Does the airlines allow the highly pregnant person on the the plane since I would like to have my baby close to home and that means coming home when the time is very close. I cannot only afford to leave university for one month.
2. Because I know that sometimes the baby takes much longer than the doctor has estimated could I request to be induced as long as it is in the right time and month.
3. What are the dangers including the fact that I won't be breast feeding.
4. Should I be looking for a new Gyna in Gauteng since I will be giving birth away from my current gyna. If yes should I ask my current gyna to send my file to the new one. What else should I start doing until that time comes. Do private hospital expect one to reserve a bed before hand? Please help.
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

The airlines usually do not allow pregnant women on flights after 34 weeks.
The question of social induction which is what you are thinking about, as opposed to an induction for medical reasons, is debatable and will really depend on your gyanecologist. Many gynaecologists feel that this is not justified as there are risks involved with induction. Remember that there is a higher chance of ending up with a caesarean section if labour is induced and, if this were the case, you would be off for 4-6 weeks afterwards.
You should attend antenatal care wherever you are and then transfer when you move. Your pregnancy record should be sent with you. You usually do book with the hospital when you book with the gyanecologist who will be looking after you.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20230 votes